Thursday 12 June 2008

Regional American English

I know that I'm getting carried away with these web surveys, but I couldn't resist this one. Based on whether you say things like cellar or basement, soda or pop, sneaker or tennis shoe, and how you pronounce words like route and aunt, this survey will tell you your regional linquistic profile.

My result indicates that the 20 years I spent living in the northeast have eroded all but 15% of my Upper Midwestern English and replaced it with 40% Yankee. The 35% General American English was probably always there.

Your Linguistic Profile:


40% Yankee
35% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
5% Dixie
0% Midwestern



I must admit, the 5% Dixie baffles me. I do have a great friend who comes from Mississippi - perhaps it's rubbed off on me!

No comments: