Wednesday 11 June 2008

Patient, Heal Thyself

I've been told that my penchant to self-diagnose and treat my own ailments instead of visiting the doctor is probably not the smartest thing to do. Perhaps that is true, but this article in Salon.com says:
Arrogant doctors criticize their patients who go online to research ailments. But they're wrong. The best health sites are a boon to patients and doctors alike.
Now, admittedly the article does not necessarily vindicate my practices. It focuses on the point that the web offers a wealth of medical information (both good and bad), and a better informed patient can participate better with her doctor in the treatment process. It says that the medical profession needs to get clued into this to this.

. . .along with a prescription for a medication or lab test, they can give patients a prescription for information that informs, empowers and helps patients be smarter and healthier.
It seems like the medical profession needs to become more like Sy Syms and his eponymous New York (now national) clothing store, who has trumpeted for 40 years that "An educated consumer is our best customer."

As for me, I will most likely continue to self-diagnose, especially as the tools available to me will no doubt progressively improve. Of course, I will also continue to visit the professionals when necessary. I just want to make sure that we're on a level playing field - I don't want them knowing more than me!

No comments: