Thursday 22 May 2008

LHR T5

Yesterday I experienced the much heralded, then later maligned, new Heathrow Terminal 5. For the most part I enjoyed the experience. British Airways and BAA (the airport operator) seem to have ironed most of the problems that travellers experienced during the opening few weeks. The design has somehow kept the vast space from becoming overwhelming, and even though it was filled with many people, it did not seem too crowded.

I especially liked the new British Airways lounge. Make no mistake, it's still an airport lounge, but they have made an effort to make it comfortable and relaxing - if a bit uniquely furnished in some parts (notice the horse lamp). Importantly, they serve excellent snacks and have even added a champagne bar in the First Class/Gold Lounge.

They have not solved all of the problems, however. Getting through security proved to be a chore, even with only a few travellers in the queue. The security staff seemed stuck in zombie mode, and the process of scanning each individual and their bags took an excruciatingly long time.

A series of steps that normally takes thirty seconds (take out bag of liquids, put liquids and coat in a tray, put tray and luggage on conveyor-belt, watch tray and luggage travel through the x-ray, walk through the scanner, pick up stuff from tray and luggage, move along) took three to four minutes per person (no exaggeration!). Normally the bungling comes from the passengers, but in this case, the blame lies squarely at the feet of the staff's totally inefficient and trance-like behaviour.

Earlier this week, I flew out of Madrid's beautiful modern airport and breezed through security in seconds. Perhaps the T5 bosses should pay a visit to their counterparts in Madrid for some pointers on how to run a proper airport.

No comments: