Saturday 30 May 2009

NYC Comes to London

Of the many things I like in and about New York, I miss the steakhouses the most. So, imagine how thrilled I became when I heard the news Friday that the Palm was opening in London that night! I immediately got on the phone and secured a booking for Saturday night. Since then, I have been in a state of great anticipation, but also high anxiety driven by the fear that the London version will fail to meet the New York original's high standard.

I've always had mixed feelings about New York steakhouses the Palm and Smith & Wollensky branching out to other cities. It can only dilute the franchises, as the copies can never measure up the original - and they don't. They also run the risk of becoming chain restaurants like Chili's or Olive Garden, which I guess they really are, albeit with a much higher level of quality.

That said, because I do not go to New York often enough but do travel occasionally to other large American cities, I really like that I can eat at the Palm or Smith & Wollensky when I go to Miami, Chicago or Los Angeles. These restaurants are close enough to the originals that I always enjoy them.

So on balance, and especially as I live in London, I view the Palm coming here as an exceptionally good thing. Not that there aren't any good steakhouses in London. I have found a few fairly good places. None of these, however, come close to the experience at the Palm or its New York brethren.

I will give you a full report on tonight's meal next week. If the London Palm stands up to the original, and if my wallet can take it (which is highly unlikely), I'm hoping spend many happy evenings there eating steak.

In the meantime: your move, Smith & Wollensky.

No comments: