Saturday 25 April 2009

Attack of the Birds

Today I spent a few minutes watching the Fox & Friends morning show on Fox News (I know, I know). One story they reported was the FAA's release of airplane bird strike data for the past several years. Fox reported the "shocking" number of 89,000 bird strikes on planes in America since 1990.

I'll admit that's a surprising number, but given the context of how many airline and general aviation flights that have taken place in America during the past nineteen years, perhaps I would not characterise it as "shocking."

Anyway, that's forgivable, especially as we know Fox sensationalises everything. But the trio of twits that host this show really lost the plot when the woman anchor (don't know her name, Gretchen something) called the strikes "attacks."

Attacks?! Who is this woman, Tippi Hedren? I suspect we'll now hear calls for a "War on Birds." I'm sure my cats would enthusiastically support it.

Alfred Hitchcock would be proud.

No comments: