Friday 12 December 2008

City of Water

I am fortunate to travel to Venice fairly regularly. Although I have not visited for a few weeks, I've found the pictures of the recent flooding there pretty scary. While the city normally experiences some flooding during high tides, this month's floods are the worst in decades, and the city has been virtually under water for nearly two weeks.

The Venetians, of course, have reacted with their usual aplomb, and have remarkably tried to live their lives as normally as possible. And while the city's mayor warned-off tourists last week, hotels are now trying to lure them back with special offers and free rubber boots.

Events like this remind me of this beautiful and unique city's fragility. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to enjoy it now -- who knows how long it will be around?

No comments: