Saturday 8 August 2009

Abbey Road

Forty years ago today, the Beatles shot their iconic "Abbey Road" album cover on a north London zebra crossing outside Abbey Road Studios. After all these years, tourists continue to dodge traffic to recreate the photo.

The BBC has done a brief feature on it and there's even a live webcam where you can watch people walk across and annoy drivers by stopping in the middle of the street to take photos.

Today at 11:35, the time the original picture was taken, fans are gathering to cross the street en mass in commemoration of the photo. That's happening just about now as I write this (totally serendipitous, as I only heard about this five minutes ago). I just looked at the webcam and the street is mobbed.

I have, of course, visited and walked across the crossing, but haven't yet gone for the photo-op. Perhaps it's time I should. It worked for these guys.

1 comment:

Jeff K said...

I think I'll listen to the album again. It's been a while.

That was a fun BBC story!
Thanks for sharing!

On a similar note, I heard that Woodstock was also celebrating 40 years this month...
http://www.woodstockstory.com/woodstock40thanniversary.html