Wednesday 21 January 2009

A New Dawn

The world wakes up to a renewed America today.

(Picture Via NY Times)

Now the hard work in Washington really begins, as everyone now realises how much damage the Bush years did to both America and the world.

I listened to the inaugural address, and while the new President gave a generally strong performance said all the right things, I wouldn't call it a stirring speech. It really did not hit me emotionally - he's no Bill Clinton in that respect. Nonetheless, the country does not need a great orator, it needs a strong leader, and by all indications, that's what we've got.

I'm still having a hard time with the whole spirit of cooperation thing that Obama's pushing. Intellectually I realise that consensus and non-partisanship provides the surest path to success for the Obama agenda, and therefore support it wholeheartedly. Emotionally, however, I want sweet revenge on all Republicans and anyone who had anything to do with the Bush years and their destructive policies, divisiveness and fear-mongering.

Fortunately, we've got this guy!

No comments: