Sunday 2 November 2008

Election Day Approaches

As the US election night gets closer, I've been thinking about how to spend the evening. Spending the night, actually, as the time difference means the first polls do not close until midnight UK time and the last not until the early morning hours.

I have been feeling more and more nervous about the outcome and my previous cautious optimism has now given way to high-anxiety. It gave me no comfort to read in the NY Times that many other Americans share these feelings with me.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to election night and the ensuing TV media frenzy that accompanies it in all of its excessive glory. Fortunately, Chelsea play AC Roma in a Champions League match that evening, so that should divert my attentions for a couple of hours until before the polls close.

Now I just need to decide what coverage to watch. It looks like CNBC Europe will broadcast the NBC News feed, so it will probably be between them and CNN. Certainly I will not watch Fox News, unless it turns out to be a Demoncratic landslide. Then it might be kind of fun.

No comments: