Sunday 24 February 2008

What's Opera, Doc?

Some people believe that I am culturally deficient because my limited knowledge of opera comes almost entirely from watching crap television.

I must confess that this is true. The core of my education on the subject comes from a couple of Seinfeld episodes based on The Barber of Seville and Pagliacci, but I have also learned a lot from Bugs Bunny cartoons. What's Opera, Doc? based on Wagner's Ring remains a classic (who could possibly forget Elmer Fudd singing "kill the wabbit!"?) and The Rabbit of Seville gets its inspiration from. . . well, it's obvious isn't it?



However, the source of my knowledge does not invalidate its worth. Television has filled a gaping whole in my cultural education, for which I'm eternally grateful. It has allowed me to learn about opera without actually watching or listening to an opera (a major plus).

In fact, it's not only opera that I owe to TV. I have also gained an appreciation for classical music in general from listening to the scores accompanying Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoons. I may not know the piece or the composer, but I can easily recognise many of the important works from watching, and listening to, these cartoons.



Because of television, I can participate in conversations about opera and classical music without immediately giving myself away as the complete parvenu that I am. For me it's all gain, no pain!

Although, do you think perhaps it is too much that my entire knowledge of Shakespeare comes from 10 Things I Hate About You, Shakespeare in Love and a Doctor Who episode?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what happened to my comment! You run this blog like Vlad Putin runs Russia!