Tuesday 29 January 2008

DC Blues

Yesterday I took a brief walk around Washington, DC to see the landmarks. I do not travel to Washington often, but during my infrequent visits, I always enjoy looking at the monuments to history and the classically designed buildings that house the institutions of a great nation.

This time, however, I did not feel a sense of greatness or pride. After the last seven years, I now looked at these edifices with sadness, cynicism, disappointment and anger at what America has become.

Others have written much more eloquently than I can about the transgressions and failings of the current US regime (notably Paul Krugman), so I won't try to do so here. I simply hope that the USA can regain its soul and once again stand for justice, freedom and opportunity in the world.

The next president will certainly need to work hard to achieve this. Hopefully, the US electorate will not squander yet again their opportunity to put things right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truth justice and the american way. Look up in the sky its a superman...that one sentence sounded like it.